02 July 2008

Don't Blink!

I was thinking again today about the passage of time. I was thinking back to when my 2nd daughter was born. Boy was that tough. My oldest was just two, and I had a newborn. That first year seems like a whirlwind. I remember just trying to make it through each day. A nursing baby and a busy toddler who never slept. I couldn't wait to go to bed at night.

We watched some old home movies a few weeks back. Darn if my kids weren't so darn cute! I do remember thinking how cute they were at the time, but it was always a fleeting thought as mindless tasks would begin to fill my mind instead: They need their diapers changed, they never ate lunch, Carley shouldn't watch so much Barney, Catherine needs to nurse, AGAIN! It seems there was always something I had to do FOR them. I didn't spend enough time just being WITH them. I mean I was with them all day, everyday, but I wasn't really present. I was in survival mode. I'm sorry about that now.

My girls are now 11 and 13 and I am enjoying the heck out of them. I know to a lot of people this is a horrible age, especially for girls. But I think this is why I am enjoying it so much. I was just like them. Their little snarky comments, the rolling of their eyes, the look that I must just be so dense, how could they have a mom like me? They make me laugh. Plus, as their bodies change, and they become more like me (a woman instead of a girl) we have more in common and more to talk about. I can try to share some wisdom in those rare moments when they actually want to listen to me. I really feel like I am PRESENT with them at this time. I like to go places with them and I like to do things with them. I am relishing these moments because I know they will be gone in the blink of an eye. Just like when they were 2 and 4 and I was so wishing they would just get a little older, a little faster, so my life would be a little easier. Well they did get older, and it came a lot faster than I expected. All of a sudden my little toddlers have become bright, beautiful young women.

I look forward to watching the future unfold for them. I wait in anticipation to see what they choose to do with their lives. But I don't wish for it to come too quickly. I want to stretch out this time with my girls as long as I can. It is time I will never get back, so I better not miss it.

A daughter is the happy memories of the past, the joyful moments of the present, and the hope and promise of the future.

~Author Unknown~

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I know they grow so fast, my oldest will be 13 in a couple weeks and my youngest just turned 6.

It's hard not to blink.