08 July 2008

Nightline

A child, like all other human beings, has inalienable rights.
~Lucretia Mott~

In case anyone missed Nightline tonight, or if you don't watch Nightline, this is one that needs to be seen: How To Buy A Child In 10 Hours.

It's very sad to see how children are still treated around the world. My 13 year old watched this with me and was shocked. She asked how come the children had no say in what was happening to them. I didn't know how to answer that. Because people don't care? Because poverty can be so overwhelming people can't see the big picture? Because children have no value in these environments?

There is so much talk about Parental Rights in the US right now. I know many people are against the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. But how can one be against allowing these children some rights? Do these parents have a right to sell or give away their children to be abused and used as slaves? I don't' think so.

I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.

I am so glad I allow my children to have rights and to have a say about what happens in their lives.

Children do not constitute anyone's property: they are neither the property of their parents nor even of society. They belong only to their own future freedom.
~Mikhail Bakunin~

1 comment:

unschoolermom said...

I definitely agree that children have the right to be treated correctly. I, personally, am not against children having rights whatsoever. I also am not against turning people in for child abuse. I have done that once in the past myself. I think the well-being of children should be considered first. I, personally, do not like the wording of the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child, because it could be used against wonderful parents who interfere with their children's rights by teaching religious beliefs, homeschooling, etc. But I also do not go as far as some parental rights activists who say parents have the right to discipline their children in any way, etc. I think this discussion came up recently, I'm pretty sure I even blogged about it, I do not think parents have the right to hit their children with objects in the name of discipline. So while I lean toward parental rights activists in some ways, I part with them in others.

Kandy